Published: Mar 8, 2017 | 17:25
Part 4 in our 5-part QAPI guide, “Performance Improvement Projects” (PIP) is a focused course of action used to address specific problem areas. This is the part where data is put into action.
Let us walk you through some steps to help you tackle your first successful Performance Improvement Project (PIP):
- Distinguish problem vs. opportunity – consider which problem area your PIP would focus on. Prioritize which problems needs more immediate action based on risks to patient health. Remember not all problems require a PIP. It would be ideal to start with small problems for your first PIP– some practice and small victories can do a lot and can give your team the right motivation.
- Build a PIP team– Carefully choose people who can thoroughly explore the problem area. Ideally, include people directly involved in the care and service operations (e.g. field clinicians, case managers) as they would know the ins and outs of the problem area’s entire work process.
- Prepare timeline and budget – reinforce your goals with a time-bounded course of action and back up your efforts with the right finances to keep you on track and well- directed. Don’t forget to schedule timely submission of reports to the main QAPI committee.
- Collect and utilize data – begin by determining which information you will be needing, then select or create tools for data extraction and measurement as needed. Use Root Cause Analysis to take note of various factors contributing to performance variations within different areas, then build objectives based on your analysis. Forecast possible effects and outcomes, then use those forecasts a guide in formulating your performance improvement plan.
- Create and execute your plan – compare data analysis results with your forecasts, then summarize your learnings. Your plan must be set out in clear, well-documented protocols– make sure it is duly approved by the main QAPI committee and that persons involved are well informed of the actions set to take place.
- Gather results – Document observations and record outcomes using benchmarks and parameters set in your QAPI’s feedback and data systems. Compare again results with your predictions and summarize your learnings. Modify your plan as needed based on findings.
Sustain PIPs with Qavalo
Qavalo’s main QA and coding services are supplemented with efficient reporting and feedback mechanisms to back up your documentation-focused QAPI and PIP efforts. Our outsourcing solutions enable you to monitor clinician progress, as well as areas of development for sustainable performance improvement.
Avail of our FREE TRIAL and experience our quality work firsthand– absolutely no strings attached, no payment details required upfront!
Email [email protected] or leave us a voicemail at 916-282-9868 to get your FREE TRIAL SETUP.